Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The right to refuse

The right to refuse someone is a very important thing. I'm not going to argue this fact, to take away someone's right to say "no" to someone else is horrible and essentially takes away their free will. However, there are certain instances where a person on a moral, good, HUMAN level should not say no to another person.

I have just read a news report from the BBC where California State Legislature passed a law stating that doctors cannot refuse treatment of another person for religious reasons. This was started when a lesbian woman tried to get fertilized artificially and two Christian doctors decided that it would be against their religion to help her and told her to do it herself, albeit they did tell her how. All this is taken to from the BBC website and here's the link for those who are interested : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7569538.stm

Now, I'm not going to report anymore on this, I am going to say HOW FUCKING DARE ANY DOCTOR REFUSE ANY PATIENT FOR ANY FUCKING REASON!

I do not care what your religious beliefs are you took an oath to do no harm and to help people! To give a woman the instructions how to do it and with no care what may happen to her, props for them for eve giving her the instructions instead of leaving her to go to the internet for answers. It does not excuse a DOCTOR refusing a patient. I'm now picturing someone who has some sort of life-threatening disease and they go to a doctor and they turn around and go "I may be the only person in the world who can help you, but I'm not because you're gay." or "because you're whatever religion is unpopular and I hate because I'm another religion." You decided to take a career helping people, not specific people, but people in general.

Not to mention, as a human being how can you turn your back on a person like that?

Yeah California though! This definitely makes me consider moving to California at some point in time if the rest of teh states don't get their act together on this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Sydney. Marius here. I'm glad you brought this up, since things of this nature have been cropping up a lot lately. Pharmacists who refuse to sell birth control or 'the morning after' pills based on their religious beliefs. In a perfect universe someone who could not perform their job due to religious beliefs would be free to refuse. And then, as their employer I would be free to fire their ass and replace them with someone who is capable of doing the job. The ludicrous argument that helping homosexuals is against the Bible just pisses me off. Most of the verses such bigots quote that say homosexuality is wrong also condemn things like eating shellfish. The way these fundamentalists cherry-pick their scriptural excuses for their own personal prejudices is disgusting, and we need more lawsuits like this one to bring this revolting practice into the light.

Unknown said...

Ok, I'm not really awake yet. That sentence about pharmacists was supposed to be a laundry list of similar offenses, but somehow it never went anywhere. I'm going to get more coffee now. ;-)

Kumar said...

Thank you for bringing this up. This kind of thing really gets on my nerve. If you have a job, you must be able to do it. If you are incapable of doing that job, WHY ARE YOU THERE?

 
Site Meter