Tuesday, September 16, 2008

If Plastic is bad for Babies Then Why Am I Alive?

So, I'm on the phone with my mother and she tells me about how there are new news reports about how plastic is now bad for you. Or more specifically babies.

Now, needing more information I immediately Google and see what I get, ignoring the first two which are essentially Mom's going nuts for green, something I really want to avoid, I go to U.S News and World Report and read this article http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/2007/09/22/the-problem-with-plastic-bpa.html .

The article proceeds to go into how there is this chemical Bisphenol A, BPA, is harmful, especially to infants because well, they are still developing. Except, it seems that all the side effects happen when you are an adult, after all, I don't think babies need to worry about decreased sperm counts, prostate cancer or breast cancer...And apparently uterine fibroid and endometriosis affects women at the reproductive age...did we change when the reproductive age is? However, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and say that possibly we build up BPA and then it affects it later on. But then, how do you know it affects infants more? Also, going back through the wonderful world of Google I found only one other credible site other than sites featuring parents or other journalists/commantators freaking out over that at msnbc on the first Google page. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26531316/

What no CNN? Uh Oh I'm smelling something else wrong with this...And MSNBC doesn't even mention what the side effects could be!

Then there is the most important evidence of all: Me! Standing right here before you a healthy (if not slightly obese, but quickly loosing weight) 22 year old girl who drank from not only plastic baby bottles, but plastic cups, and is drinking a massive thing of water from a plastic bottle right now! I'm perfectly fine, not dumb at all, even though I'm sure my grammar and spelling could use work, but I blame my public school system for not teaching me in the first place.

Now, if you're going to say, "Oh but it may be a link to obesity!" Umm...no...my family pre-disposition and more importantly, massive amount of junk food and lack of exercise are the reason why I'm having weight problems, not plastic.

Not to mention, do you really want to go back to the joy of glass again parents? Think of all the times your baby likes to throw their nice, durable, plastic bottle/cup and how it can come back safe and sound with just a little wash, and then think of them throwing a glass bottle/cup and how often you will have to make a huge fuss of cleaning it up, because a baby won't know not to touch it, and how many you will have to go through...Can we be practical?

So, thinking practically, thinking that not only myself, but my brother and I'd say 98% of my friends are fine (maybe a couple had the glass thing, I dunno) I'd say this may be a bit of a hoax, overstretch, and possibly a way to shift blame again.

And I think I'll wait until the FDA announces their results on this testing before I even hint at worrying. Until then, I'm going to keep drinking from this plastic bottle and keep on planning on giving my future, way down the line, maybe 10 years from now babies, the same plastic treatment I got if another material doesn't come out before then.

No comments:

 
Site Meter