Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's ALIVE!!!

So...I did something on Friday night...something I never honestly thought I'd do my entire life...

We had a goodbye dinner last Friday for our Principal and the other 6 teachers who are leaving at the end of this week. Instead of the normal gal bi dinner we went for seafood. Now seafood restaurants are a sight to behold in Korea. The outside has these tanks full of fish and other creatures that they serve inside so there really is no question on the freshness of your fish, it's right there still alive until you order it. Except one thing...

Octopus...that's right, there was actual live octopus served at this meal. I couldn't believe it. In fact, for a few seconds I thought it was dead...until I noticed it move...Now if you've seen Oldboy you'll know that there is a scene where the main character eats a live octopus...and for proof that even Koreans don't normally eat this weird food, here's a clip I found of the behind the scenes for that part...


It wasn't whole like the one here...this was just the tentacles chopped off and moving all around the plate and trying to even leave it. Like here.

Although unlike them, I couldn't chew fast enough!

And well, because I was trying to be polite, it was apparently expensive and on the Principal's bill so I decided to try it...And I liked it...it was a bit sticky at times and let me tell you I couldn't chew fast enough, but over all the taste wasn't too bad...

Of course that was that night and after more than enough soju so now the more I think about it...the more disgusted I am by it. OMG, I actually ate that!!! Talk about something that will never happen again.

I'm not really all that upset that I did eat it. I think you should try most things at least once (although if you offer me dog I may have to cause some harm) and I was drunk enough to enjoy it at the time. Will I ever go after this supposedly rare delicacy again? Absolutely not.

But it was fun for the time, and hell, now I have another story to shock and amaze people with!

No comments:

 
Site Meter